Question
Posted by: Josh | 2007/02/09

Eating

Im 14 years old about 6''2 and 11 stone
i do 20 press-ups 25 sit-ups and some stuff with weights i also go down to the gym alot but this does not seem to be enough i play lock for my rugby team sometimes i can play really great rucking the players out pushing hard at the scrums running with the ball and beating defenders and scoring the odd tries however sometimes i play terrible i feel really unfit and cant make it around the pitch well this was the same as the other day at gym when i was fatigued i could not complete even half my routine i think this is down to the food i eat im not on the healthiest diet but im getting better i need some exercise and food that will beef me up but also make me fitter or anything else that would help do you have any suggestions?

Hi Josh

Wow, you're tall for a 14 year old! I'm not surprised you play lock.

As for your question, it could be the food, but it could also be the training. It's very difficult, actually, impossible for me to say without any doubt that it's one or the other. Even with regards to training, I'm not sure what the problem is because I don't know the exact tiny details of the training, and that is what makes the difference. For example, if I can throw out a few random ideas - if you are training hard, then some games, you will play tired, because your body may not have recovered well from all the training. That spells bad game. If you are rested, then you may play better. So perhaps it is a symptom of erratic training. ONly you can figure that out though, because you know how your training goes from one week to the next. But that would be my first checkpoint.

The second would be diet, and here, the best thing to do is to see a dietician. I suspect that your diet is probably a bit low on carbs, and I say that only because it's the most common thing in young sportsmen, and they very rarely eat sufficient carbs each day. But again, I would be guessing, since I don't know the exact amount or the nature of your current diet. But what I would suggest is that you see a dietician and get it sorted out properly