Question
Posted by: Reni | 2007/07/26

Eatering before exercise (walking)

Hi, I heard that it is bad for your body and especially for your heart if you go walking after a meal. Please let me know if this is so?

Hello Reni

No, not at all. The only thing is practical – a lot of people will develop stomach problems, and heartburn, which is just reflux of stomach acid if they eat too close to exercise. It’s not a very pleasant experience eating too close to exercise, because it feels like you can taste your food a second time! But it’s not dangerous, just uncomfortable. Ideally, you should aim to eat at least 45 minutes, preferably 60 to 90 minutes before you exercise, but that’s so variable, some people can eat on the way out the door. There’s no danger, just see what works for you.