Question
Posted by: bibs | 2004/10/20

Eat or not

advice pls, i plan on going to to gym at around 5:30 am every morning, do i eat my breakfast before i go, which means i must wake at 4:30!!!! or do i eat afterwards and how many hours do i wait after eating before exercising or after before eating? I have heard that your sugar levels drop at night and thus you need to have maybe something small before the training and then afterwards the rest of your breakfast which one is it?

Hi Bibs

It depends a lot on what you are doing in the session. Overnight, you use pretty much all your liver energy stores and so when you wake up, the liver is nearly depleted of glucose (sugar). This means that if you go out for a long exercise session, there is a chance that you will have a drop in your sugar levels. By long, I mean in excess of an hour. However, if you are doing something under an hour, you should actually be fine. It also is a matter of adapting to this, and as someone on the forum has said, they feel no effects. Perhaps your first couple of sessions will be tough, but you will soon adapt and then you will be OK after this. As far as eating goes then, it's a matter of preference. My advice would be to take a banana or apple along, eat in on the way over or during the session if you have the time, or otherwise an Energade, but there's a good chance that you will need neither during your sessions.

1
Posted by: NM | 2004/10/21

Also go to the gym at 05h30 - I train on a empty stomach (works for me!) I do 40 minutes of cardio AND weights and I have never felt weird/dizzy/weak...okay maybe HUNGRY sometimes!!! Why don't you have half a banana - definitely not a BIG breakfast. When are you planning to start?

Reply to NM