Question
Posted by: mimi | 2005/07/19

Eat more to loose weight ?

Hi doc , great forum , just want youre opinion on an article I've read in this months Shape , there is a tool to work out youre BMR , I am 79kg and is 1.67m , I do spinning 3 times a week and work out in gym over the weekend , (this is Friday - Sun 40-60min session) , according to this tool/calculation , I should be consuming 2500 Cal a day , being so active (then I will maintain my weight) , if I want to loose 1kg a week I should decrease my cal intake by 1000 cal , this is then 1500cal a day , I am following the weighless plan and totaled my cal intake on this diet and I am only consuming 1100 cal a day , could this be the reason I am not loosing weight , feeling tired all the time (I have been gyming for 7 weeks) , and is it ok to increase my carbs from 5 to 6 portions , my protiens from 3 to 4 and my fruits from 3 - 4 ? obviously making the best choices ? - thank you

Dear Mimi
Your present BMI = 28,3 which is in the overweight range so you need to reduce your weight to about 67 kg to get back into the normal range with a BMI of 24. It is correct that to lose weight you need to ingest about 1500 cal a day which should cause a weight loss of about 1 kg per week. I do therefore agree that you need to increase your energy intake from carbohydrates (the best fuel for the body). Try having 7 portions of carbs stick to 3 portions of proteins and have 4 fruits and see how you do with the weight loss and having more energy. If you are a member of Weighless you also should discuss this with your programme mentor and mention that you do so much exercise and that you are so tired on your present food intake.