Question
Posted by: Ooop | 2003/12/03

Eat before or after

I've just started going to gym during the lunch hour at work, I don't know if I should eat my lunch before or after gym. Please advice which is the best way.
Ooop

You know, there is so much opinion about this one and som much in support or against either option that it is not really all that essential that you go either way. The argument that you burn more fat if you exercise on an empty stomach is probably true, and so I would say that eating within an hour of the session (up to 2 hours) may be a reasonable idea, because you are unlikely to run into trouble by doing this. The one thing that can go wrong is obviously that you don't eat and become hypoglycaemic during exercise. However, if you do eat about 2 hours before, and you are only exercising for an hour max, this is not likely to be a problem. I would then say that you should eat a meal soon after gym, just to replace what has been used and to replenish those stores. That's probably the most simple and practical way of doing it.

2
Posted by: brozz | 2003/12/03

If you are after fat burn do not eat 2 hours before gym and at least 1 hour afterwards as you want your body to use its fat supply ,not the food, as a energy source. If you wait at least an hour afterwards then the body will continue to use the fat supply.

Reply to brozz
Posted by: Me | 2003/12/03

When i started gym, i was advised to NOT eat anything at least 3 hours before gym and up to half an hour after your workout! So, that's what i did. But they also say that the food you eat, after you've gymed, gets burned up much faster if you eat it within an hour after working out!

Good Luck!

Reply to Me