Question
Posted by: Mel | 2004/11/22

EASY BRUISING

Hi - I've been worrying about something for a while. I bruise extremely easy - and when i do get a bruise (which is basically a new one each day), it takes about two to three weeks for the bruise to disappear.
Is this normal? Just wondering - cause my father has a liver problem where his body produces too much iron....and as far as I know this can be hereditary. What else can be the problem?

Thank you!

Mel, it might be that you suffer from purpura simplex. Purpura simplex or easy bruising is the most common vascular bleeding disorder and is characterised by increased bruising due to increased vascular fragility. It is more common in women and bruises develop without any history of trauma on the thighs, buttocks and upper arms. There is no history of other abnormal bleeding, but there might be family members suffering from the same problem. Sufferers have a normal full blood count and clotting profile, and no drugs seem to prevent it.
Purpura simplex is not serious, but making the wrong diagnosis is. My advice would be that you go for a good physical examination, have a full blood count, liver functions and a clotting profile done, and maybe avoid aspirin containing drugs (seldom a cause). Good luck.