Question
Posted by: Pierre | 2004/02/21

Easing of my exercise routine

Dear DietDoc.
I am in my 40ty's and I am training hard in the mornings for the upcoming Argus Cycle Tour (5 rides per week +- 300km). I am having big meals at night but still managed to loose 5kg since December. After the Tour I want to ease of my training routine. What is a healthy diet for an athlete? How do I determine the balance between eating enough for my energy requirements and still keeping my health (and weight) in check. Thank you in advance.

Dear Pierre
Your weight loss just goes to show how intensive exercise can make one lose weight. If you are eating a balanced diet which contains plenty of unprocessed, unsifted cereals and grains, legumes, fruit and vegetables, low-fat milk and dairy products, lean meat, fish and 4 eggs a week, plus small quantities of mono- and polyunsaturated oils (olive or canola oil) and margarine (soft, tub marg), then you cut down on your portion sizes as you decrease your training intensity. If for example you are eating 6-8 slices of bread at the moment, then you would cut down to 3-4 slices a day if you cut your exercise by half, etc.
Good luck with the Argus