Question
Posted by: anxious | 2008/01/19

EARS

Doc

I had a bad ear & throat infection middle Dec - my gp gave me Ketek (I have had this for throat/chest problems before and its worked well for me) - we were also going away the following week so I wanted to get it better quickly. I was fine when we left. During the last few days my same ear has started troubling me again (its always my left ear I have trouble with). In Oct/Nov last year my gp did syringing of both my ears and said, strangely enough, my right ear wax build-up was worse than my left ear. Can wax build-up cause infections, the wax build-up can cause pain can't it? Its bad pain, but at the moment is not there all the time. In Dec I hax otitis media. Is this ear pain going to get worse and should I see my gp? He's been away this week but is back Mon. His secretary has mentioned to me that when she has wax build-up problems she goes straight to her ENT because her problems get bad enough that only the ENT can see the build-up, i.e. her gp can't see it. Could I have this problem? Until recently, I never have really had ear trouble at all. I suffered from chronic sinus problems for years and years and eventually got my gp to send me to an ENT in Aug 2006. He initially said I only had post-nasal drip problems, but that if my sinus problems persisted I should phone him and go for a sinus scan. This happened in October 2006. I had such badly infected sinuses, which never seemed to show up on any sinus x-rays I have had over the years and had 3 procedures done in Oct 2006. Last year was the 1st winter I have ever had without 1 case of sinus trouble. I had an ethmoidectomy, antrostomy and DPP and its the best thing I could have done for my sinus trouble. But whiy am I now getting ear trouble?!

Thanks for any help.

Oh and I forgot, my uric acid levels and arthritis test my gp did seemed fine and the swelling all seems fine at the moment. I still remain convinced it was some sort of gout problem - that Synacthen Depot inj I got definitely seemed to do the trick with bringing down the swelling. It seemed to work almost straight away also for the pain. Sorry about forgetting to mention it.

Dear Anxious

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

Please note that wax build up can not cause ear infections. Your ear grows in a certain way to clear any wax build up. I suggest that you use Waxol ear drops to soften the wax and assist the natural clearing of the ears from wax. Unfortunately, I suspect that your problem is due to sinusitis and therefore, you should consult the ENT Specialist that did your operation and ask him to repeat the CT scan of your sinusses.

Kind regards