Posted by: DESPERATE | 2007/12/19


Hi, I posted a query on the Ear specialits but it has been more than a week and no reply. Maybe you can assist me. I had middle ear infection plus minus 7 months ago. Since then I get this heart beat effect in my right ear. It sounds like I am going through a wind tunnel:) It happens also when I get stressed out and then I can hear my heart beat in my ear, so I wonder if it is now due to the middle ear infection or could it be to do with blood pressure. I know this sounds funny but that is the only way I can describe it. Also I suffer from motion sickness and as soon as this throbbing start I feel the motion sickness feeling again....don't know if this is related and if I need to worry about this.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc

Dear Desperate
This noise is called pulsatile tinnitus. This can be caused by eustachian tube infection, high blood pressure, some inner ear tumours and muscle spasm in the throat and ear area. The fact that you get this motion sickness feeling (called vertigo) makes me think that you still have some inflammation or infection in the middle ear.You probably need to see an ENT specialist. What you can do is to leave the radio on softly - this often reduces the irritation of the noise, sleep with your head elevated, or try valoid or serc or stugeron tablets.
dr Bets

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.