Question
Posted by: DESPERATE | 2007/12/19

EARS

Hi, I posted a query on the Ear specialits but it has been more than a week and no reply. Maybe you can assist me. I had middle ear infection plus minus 7 months ago. Since then I get this heart beat effect in my right ear. It sounds like I am going through a wind tunnel:) It happens also when I get stressed out and then I can hear my heart beat in my ear, so I wonder if it is now due to the middle ear infection or could it be to do with blood pressure. I know this sounds funny but that is the only way I can describe it. Also I suffer from motion sickness and as soon as this throbbing start I feel the motion sickness feeling again....don't know if this is related and if I need to worry about this.

Dear Desperate
This noise is called pulsatile tinnitus. This can be caused by eustachian tube infection, high blood pressure, some inner ear tumours and muscle spasm in the throat and ear area. The fact that you get this motion sickness feeling (called vertigo) makes me think that you still have some inflammation or infection in the middle ear.You probably need to see an ENT specialist. What you can do is to leave the radio on softly - this often reduces the irritation of the noise, sleep with your head elevated, or try valoid or serc or stugeron tablets.
dr Bets