Question
Posted by: Elizabeth | 2007/05/04

Early sterilization - maine coon male

I've read a lot about the above. As far as I could establish there is no adverse effects of early neutering of cats and dogs. I'm however worried about the effect on maine coon cats. I bought a new male which is now 5 weeks old. He's going to be neutered I think before 3 months. Seeing that Maine Coons only mature within 3-4 yrs, wil they grow really grow bigger than normal due to early sterilization. And if so, will there be any unforeseen problems? I can also mention that this spesific kitten weighed 220g with birth and at 5 week already weighed 750g.

Thank you for your comment

One disadvantage that has been mentioned (although I have not seen scientific proof to back this up) is that the urethra in some early neutered males may not develop much because the male genital organ does not develop as it does in intact males. This may then predispose the animal to obstructed urethral problems later in life. I don't think th eliterature for and against neutering early in the USA gives this as a problem. I know some European countries prefer not to neuter too early but once againit may be due to anecdontal evidence (word of mouth rather than scientifically proven).