Question
Posted by: lindy | 2004/02/28

early pregnancy question

hope you can help. I'm 29 and miscarried last june. Have been trying ever since to conceive and been feeling really periody last week when I would have been due. However, done a preg test this morning - POSITIVE!!! Does the fact I have mild period pains mean I could miscarry again? I know it is inevitable but I'm just resting as much as possible to be on the safe side. Why would I have period pains if no period??

Thanks again

Light cramps are quite common in early pregnancy and are not a sign of miscarriage.

2
Posted by: lindy | 2004/03/01

To Kate, who kindly replied to me! Thanks ever so much. You really really made me feel at ease. I find there is not a lot of info on pain at around 4-5weeks so you never know whats right or wrong. I have had a few lower left abdo pains, which did give me a fright as they come and go but still no bleeding as yet. I do feel a bit nauseous but don't know if it's just nerves!!
Thanks again ever so much.
Lindy

Reply to lindy
Posted by: Kate | 2004/02/29

Period like pains are very common in early pregnancy. You may also feel like you could 'come on' at any minute. Also normal.

A second miscarriage is not inevitable. You may be lucky this time and have a perfect pregnancy. Try not to stress too much but resting is a very good idea. Also try to see your gynae soon, tell him/her that you miscarried before if they don't know. And ask them for advice.

But don't stress about the period pains, they are very normal! You may get sharp shooting pains when you stand up too quickly or turn over in bed. These are also normal, it is your ligaments stretching. A lot of women ask this question (including me) as it causes alarm but don't stress if you feel this, just sit down or lie down and let the 'cramp' go away.

I can only guess that you are about five weeks pregnant. If you have a slight brownish discharge, it may be an implantation bleed. Usually happens around week five/six. Not everyone gets it (I didn't) but if you do, don't immediately worry about a miscarriage, an implantation bleed is normal too. Phone your gynae and let them know.

Just wanted to let you know about the things we usually worry about that are no cause for alarm so you won't worry too much.

Remember that any bleeding should be reported to your gynae and make sure that someone sees you as bleeding doesn't always mean a miscarriage if you get treatment.

Best of luck, rest well!!
Kate

Reply to Kate