Question
Posted by: Dove | 2007/04/13

Early Pregnancy problem

Please could someone advise - my frind is 8 weeks pregnant but the scan indicates the fetus is only at 6 weeks. Her doctor said that if he can't pick up a heart beat next week, he will have to do a D&C.

What causes this problem and what would the chances be that her pregnancy continues and results in a healthy bouncing baby? She is 25 years old, this is her first pregnancy and she is generally healthy and fit.

It could be that the pregnancy is earlier than she thought or there may be a problem in that the pregnancy has not developed. There are no specific causes for this and it is unlikely to recur.

2
Posted by: Lynette | 2007/04/14

I don't want to give bad news but same happen to me last year was nine weeks pregnant scan said only 4 weeks so dr send me for blood test to see if my hormones double suppose to if pregnant it did said i must come back in 2 weeks time still no heartbeat there was a sac and everyting but no baby i had what the call a blighted ovum baby start to developed and then just stopped and then your body reabsorbed the embrio something went wrong in the chormosones gynae said to me so he did and d&c the next day to remove everything lucky i am pregnant again with healthy baby. I guess it is just one off those things that does happend was devastated though but it do take time to get over it still thinking about the baby i lost he or she would have been born the end of April.

Reply to Lynette
Posted by: Lou | 2007/04/13

She should wait a few more weeks, and perhaps go to another gynae - sometimes it takes a while before the fetal heartbeat can be picked up. It'd be awful if the doctor did a D&C and the fetus was healthy.

Reply to Lou