Question
Posted by: Carol | 2008/05/26

EARLY PERIOD: Ovarian Cyst or Menopause?

I have had tenderness in the lower left quadrant of my abdomen for a few weeks, and this has been coupled with breast tenderness. Both of these symptoms are very unusual for me.

My period arrived on DAY 19 of my menstrual cycle yesterday, which -- for me -- is extremely unusual too.

I am 43 years old. Is this an ovarian cyst or a sign that the menopause could be approaching?

I just want to add that I am definitely NOT pregnant or experiencing an early miscarriage. I haven't been sexually active for years.

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

I recommend that you make an appointment with a gynaecologist to have an ultrasound of the lower left quadrant of your abdomen done, to exclude ovarian cysts or any other pathological reasons. Remember to mention your breast tenderness and the change in your menstrual cycle, in order to do a full examination.

Kind regards