Question
Posted by: Early Bird | 2008/01/05

Early Morning Training Nutrition

Hi DD

I have no doubts you could shed some light on a very difficult topic to get a straight answer on. My girlfriend and I train in the early hours, we wake up at 04:45 and get to gym for a cardio and weight trainging (hour) session by 5:15 the latest. Girlfriends goal is to drop body fat % and is on calorie restricted diet of +-1400, she is the correct weight and is just fine tuning the body fat %. I'm on a weight gain +3300 calorie eating plan. We're on track with or goals...however...what we can't get answers on is what should you be eating with about 30 mintues from waking up to getting to the gym. Currently we take a meal replacement shake with 20grams low GI carbs and 20grams protein (whey). We were also drinking 20grams of (powder) Game diluted with 400ml of water. What we're trying to establish is if the pre workout "meal" should rather be low GI carbs, like the game (only), without having the meal replacement shake.

There are many different rules of thumb out there and as usual your trusted opinion will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in adavnce!

Dear Early Bird
Basically it is necessary to provide your bodies with a source of readily available energy to fuel your physical activity after your overnight fast. Thus most people would exercise best if they ingest mainly high-GI carbs (breakfast cereal with honey, fruit or fruit juice) before, during and after exercise (Game or any other energy drink). However, people who suffer from hypoglycaemia do better if they have low-GI carbs about 40 min before exercise. If you find that you are managing your desired exercise routine with the shake followed by the Game, then well and good. If you find that you get tired and cannot exercise optimally, then replace the shake with more high-GI foods (fruit, fruit juice, white bread with jam or honey, standard breakfast cereals with honey, etc) to provide more instant energy. Make sure that you do eat a proper breakfast after you have exercised to sustain you and your brain function for the rest of the day.
Good luck with your two regimens.