Posted by: Betty | 2008/10/29

I read that Hypothyroidism (which I have) could bring on early menopause between the ages of 30 - 40. I just turned 34, stopped taking the pill December last year and had regular periods until approx. 3 months ago. I skipped my period for 9 weeks did several pregnancy tests all negative. Period started for five days (normal) and I haven' t had another period since and that was about 6-7 weeks ago. I had my first period at the age of 9 and it has been regularl from the word go, no hassles. I am desperately wanting to have children and am concerned that I am in early menopause stages and that my fertility level is beyond help.

Dear Betty

The fact that you have not seen your period for 2 months does not mean that you have reached early menopause. The reason why I am implying this is that you also have hypothyroidism. The chances are higher that your hypothyroidism is not well controlled as the presence of a low thyroid hormone level will effect ovulation and therefore prevent menstruation to occur. My suggestion is for you to see your gynaecologist or endocrinologist to assess your thyroid status and at the same time one can do a FSH level to assess your ovarian reserve.

Answered by: Dr. Y. M. Dasoo

Posted by: Mbali | 2008/12/22

I would get my periods for 4 months and the 5th month I would skip it.I want to know if I also suffering from early menopause>  I started my periods when I was 9 years and hence the question

Reply to Mbali
Posted by: Fifi | 2008/10/29

I know that all you need is a FSH (Follicle Stimulating Hormone) Blood Test to determine whether you are going through Menopause or not, however, must be honest and say that I don' t know whether this is relevant in ALL cases / ages. Doc - please advise when answering. Thanks.

Reply to Fifi