Question
Posted by: Ren | 2006/10/24

ear wax and odd urine colour

Hi all

How will I know if Tammy has ear mites? I notice that she has quite a bit of brownish "wax" in her ear and tends to rub it or shake her head. If she does have them, what do I have to do.
Secondly, might sound silly but what colour is cat urine. I found some reddish brown urine on the floor and am not sure if this indicates blood in the urine. I'm also not sure if it's hers. She's still running about and eating well so no indication that she's not feeling well.

Ear mites are visible using an otoscope and can be diagnosed by your vet who will then prescribe drops to deal with them. Red urine is not normal in cats. Cystitis, the most common cause of blood in the urine has numerous causes from infectious to stress and your vet will be able to help you with differentiating them.

2
Posted by: ren | 2006/10/25

Hi Chill

She is approx. 10 yrs old and I've just changed her diet from Iams to Royal Canin. No signs of urine today and the ears seem slightly more clean.

Reply to ren
Posted by: Chill | 2006/10/24

Any animal that rubs or shakes its head often is most likely having some ear trouble or other, so it's probably a good idea to get your vet to take a look. Ear mites may be the problem, but there are also other potential causes of itching or irritation, so there's little point treating it if you don't know the cause.

Cat urine can be quite dark and normally blood is fairly obvious. If the cat's behaving normally, eating, etc, then I don't think I'd worry unduly. You don't give your cat's age, nor details of her diet. Kidney problems are not uncommon in cats, but normally they would be more likely to occur in older ones.

If you're going to get her ears checked out, you may as well mention the urine thing to your vet, just to be sure.

Reply to Chill