Posted by: LO | 2011/03/30

ear problems for 3 year old

my son has an ear problem. i first recognised this when he did not allow us to touch his ear. i took him to the doctor (GP)who said he has an internal ear injury. he gave him ear drops which i was supposed to put in his ear for 7 days. after 2 days of using the drops, pus started coming out of his ear but the doctor said i must continue with the drops. the pus stopped a day or two after the 7 days. he mentioned that we should give the ear six weeks to heal. if the ear is not healed by then, my son will have to go to theatre. but now i''ve just been told by a friend that this might not be an injury but a disease which might be the reason why my son is still struggling with his speech development. as well. could this be true?

should i wait for the six weeks to lapse and see what the outcome will be or should i take him to a ENT specialist?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear LO

I do get the impression that there may be an infective component at play. As the hearing is an issue, I agree with you that an ENT opinion would be helpful at this stage.


The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.