Question
Posted by: DiDi | 2007/08/09

Ear pain,staying ill for 3 mths,insomnia

I have terrible ear pain that goes down into my throat. It feels like there is water in my ears bcoz I cant hear clearly. I have had ear infections in the past but nothing like this. What could this be and are there any home remedies? I dont have a medical aid now. I have had flu for the last three months on and off, very sore muscles, runny nose, slime in the chest, headaches. I have been to the doctor twice and received antibiotics but its still not going away. The earpain only started recently.
Also my husband has insomnia, he falls asleep quickly but wakes up every two to three hours, he doesnt seem to get the rest he needs, I cant give him sleeping pills or calming medicine bcoz his work requires him to be on standby 24hours a day.
Please advise.
Also, is it necessary to get blood tests before you want to have a child together? Why? and what sort of tests?

Dear Didi
You may have phlegm in the middle ear - try using Drixine nose drops every 12 hours ( in your NOSE) to open the small tube running from the back of your throat to the ear. You can try using something to make the phlegm more watery like Bisolvon. Also boost your immunity by using Echinacea or an immune booster ( ask your pharmacist)
Try Biral for your husband - 2 at night before going to bed.
It is always good to have a medical examination before you want to fall pregnant - one should exclude HIV, STD's to ensure that the baby will be healthy.