Question
Posted by: dee | 2008/01/16

Ear Mites in GSD

Please advise if there is a natural remedy to clear mites in my GSD. It has become a chronic problem and the vet products given don't help at all. Is it possible to have her ears syringed by a vet? She is really suffering and I am at a complete loss. Thanks.

Ear mites cause much discomfort - they run across the ear drum causing irritation to the animal and they can cause secondary bacterial or fungal skin infections of the ear canal. A diagnosis is made by looking down the canal and visiualising the mites in the lower ear canal or on the drum. Specific miticidal antibiotic ear drops are needed to cure the disease. It is important to ensure that the drops run down all the way to the drum - don't let the dog shake its head as soon as you put the drops in as that will result in the drops just being shaken out. Also - do not put the ear dropper into the ear canal or it will become contaminated and a bacerial or fungal infection can be transmitted from and infected ear canal to healthy one.

3
Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/05/08

my dog is very irretated by his ears there are dark bown stuff in his ears and i dont know what to do, what do you think?

Posted by: dee | 2008/01/17

Thank you, Chill, for your trouble to reply re my GSD and her ear problems. I will certainly try the recommended procedure and hope that she will be pain free and more comfortable soon.

Reply to dee
Posted by: Chill | 2008/01/16

I don't know about natural remedies, but I do know this can be a pretty stubborn problem. It's been addressed before - if you put 'ears' into the Archive search thingie, and then page back to a post called Ear Infection, posted by Mercury, on 13 December 2006 you'll find a whole load of instructions.

Do what it says on there, and you should see a big difference. But, once your dog has a chronic infection, you'll need to keep a close eyes on her ears for ever, so that you can nip future incidents in the bud.

Reply to Chill