Question
Posted by: Cassie | 2005/12/15

Ear infection

Hi, I have been suffering from middle ear infection the last few months. The treatment clears up the infection, but a few weeks latter its back. My doc seems to think that my sinus is the problem. But I have had hey fever since I was 18 (I am now 26) and this is the first year that I have had a recurring ear infection... Could hey-fever give you ear infection(s), or must I go for a second opinion?

Dear Cassie,
Hayfever can cause middle ear infection because it can block the eustachian tube of your ear by swelling and cause fluid in the middle ear. Maybe you developed a chronic sinusitis now that is not clearing properly. IF you get it 3 times in one year, you must ask your dr to refer you to an ENT specialist. In the mean time, take an antihistamine, use cortisone nose spray, rinse your nose with saltwater (1/2 teaspoon in 1 cup of luke warm water) twice a day and see how it goes.