Question
Posted by: Ingrid | 2006/07/13

Ear ache

Doctor, I took quite a severe blow to the left side of my head last saturday and have experienced major ear ache since then, I have found that some sounds have now become amplified in my other ear while, I cannot make out other sounds. Last night I washed my hair in the bath tub, and when submerged myself in the water to rinse my hair, I started getting the most excrutiating pain in my ear as well as the whole left side of my head. This morning when I tried to clean my ear out a bit, I found my ear bleeding, What should I do? please help me as I am in agony. Thank you

Hi Ingrid
It sounds like you shattered your eardrum. If the hole is small it usually repairs itself, if it is very big you may need an operation to close it. Keep the ear dry and out of the wind and please let your GP look at the drum to decide whether you have to be referred?