Posted by: christa | 2008/06/04

eaating disorder

i've got depression and stop eating, how can I help myself to eat again, and still weight the same, or is there something I can drink who can replace a daily lunch

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear Christa
If you are suffering from depression then it is ESSENTIAL that you consult a psychiatrist so that you can receive the correct medication to treat this condition and start eating again. Depression can have a pronounced effect on appetite and lead to serious weight loss if it is not treated correctly. So please see a psychiatrist (your gp can refer you) to receive treatment and restore you emotional well-being and your appetite. If you have lost a lot of weight because of the depression you may benefit from reading the articles I have written on the subject of weight gaining. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Diet Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles. Companies like Fresenius Kabi and Nestle, among others, make meal replacement supplements Phone Fresenius on (011) 545-0000, or the Nestle Consumer Services at 0860 09 6789 and ask about Nutritional Supplements to boost your energy intake. You can purchase liquid meal supplements at most chemist shops. Talk to the pharmacist about your need to gain weight and see which products he or she will recommend. Basically you need to eat more food either by gradually increasing how much you eat at each meal, or by taking supplements IN ADDITION to your regular meals (not to replace meals), or by having more snacks between meals. If you use a meal supplement such as Fresubin, with or without fibre, at the rate of 200 ml 3x a day, then you should gain 1 kg per week. Feedback from other Readers has indicated that they have successfully gained weight by using a meal supplement.
Best regards

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.