Question
Posted by: sally | 2007/03/17

dysplasia operation

My dog is like yours Martin- hip dysplasia- although I don't think the other thing yet. Please, anybody who has had surgery done on their dog for hip dysplasia, answer this post and tell me what was done and what it costs. Cybervet, if you know, please tell. If I can afford it I will have it done because my very active dog is constantly in pain due to trying to be normal in spite of the dysplasia.

There are a few procedures that can be done - from hip replacement to "tripple pelvic osteotomy" to femur head amputation. The costs decrease in that order. For specific costs please ask the vet who will be performing the surgery. It is most likely that the cheapest procedure will still be in excess of R2000.

Strict rest is important (will be needed after surgery as well) and the use of analgesics is important.

2
Posted by: maggie | 2007/03/23

My hond het die femurkop amputasie gehad en dit was baie suksesvol(skaaphond). Hy kon selfs weer begin skape werk.

Reply to maggie
Posted by: Chill | 2007/03/19

Where are you, Sally? If you're anywhere near Cape Town I can refer you to a wonderful surgeon who will give you all the information you need.

Reply to Chill