Posted by: Camden | 2008/06/04


Hi Dr,

I wonder if you or any readers would be able to assist?

I suspect my 9 year old has Dyslexia. He battles with reading writing and spelling. And his father battled in these areas due to the fact that he was ambidextrous and had to 'Train" himself to become right handed as informed by his dr.

The problem is i need to find out how i go about professionally diagnosing him. So that the problem can be realised and solutions can be given ie change of learning method etc.

What type of proffesional do i need to see?

Thank you for your time!

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

He might indeed have Dyslexia, though there are other possible explanations, too. Ignore people who suggest he should see a physiotherapist --- they are not trained or wualified to make such diagnoses, though they might, if the diagnosis has been properly made, be able to help deal with it.
Some pediatricians have an interest in and competency in diagnosing conditions like Dyslexia, but a child psychologist or child psychiatrist, would probably be best.
Always, one needs a competent expert assessmetn and diagnosis, before one can wisely explore treatment possibilities.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.