Question
Posted by: Bob | 2005/12/07

Dynamic Training

I am a regular gym goer and go to gym at least 5 times a week. I try to vary my programme so that I dont get stale. However, as the holiday season approaches I find myself getting bored! Do you have any creative suggestions for me that I can add to supplement my training in the gym?

Expert ImageArchive

Hi Bob

I'm sorry that your question fell through the woodworks here and I missed it. Here's what I would have said:

Now that's it's summer, try some swimming in the pool at the gym ... take a kicker board and a noodle with and play around.

Take a break from the machines and do sit-ups, press-ups and lunges.

When doing the cardio- or super-circuit, alternate machine exercises with press-ups, sit-ups, jumping lunges, jumping jacks, jumping squats and burpies (ask the personal trainers in the gym if you don't know what these are). It should feel almost like boot-camp!

Try out all the classes that you couldn't or haven't done before: aerobics, step, aqua-aerobics, spinning, stretch-and-tone, ball, etc. You may find a new personal favourite!

Take advantage of the sunny weather and get out of the gym: go for a morning run or cycle outside, or run/cycle to the gym. If you're close to the beach, there's volleyball, beach bats, surf-swimming, boogy-boarding, surfing, etc.

Finally, if you want something more specific, hire a personal trainer for a couple of sessions to show you something new and get you on the right track for 2006.