Question
Posted by: DR | 2005/01/10

DVT severe swelling. PLease help

Doc
I posted this elsewhere but thought you might miss it as it was a reply so here goes.

At 25 I got DVT for the first time and was unfortunatly was not diagnosed for 4 weeks inspite of the fact that my GP referred me to a specialist, it was quiet severe, leg was almost always blue, throbbing, after I started the clexain the pain went away, but the size of my leg stayed the same, I was on warfrain for a year, three years later I got another one, this time I knew what to expect and was put on clexaine immediatly, I have now been on wafrain for almost a year. The problem is my leg (from below the knee) is 5cm wider than the other, my toes are sometimes blue, my ankle and foot is also swollen, if I stand too long (too long could be a mere 5 or 10 min.) I can actually feel my leg and foot swelling.I can'wear any of my old shoes and have a hard time finding a pair that will fit both feet. I no longer where shorts because of it being so apparent, not to mention the terrible veins that have now appeared behind my leg.

Is this going to be a permanent problem? Is this normal? How long should I stay on wafrain? Is ocassional pain normal?

Please help , with the slightest muscle pain in my leg I always fear it's back.
P.S The DVT was caused by HRT's,am no longer using it. It is also hereditary im my case

Thanks Doc

DR, the blood clot (DVT) probably damaged the valves in the veins and this is not something the body will be able to repair. It is a fairly common problem after a DVT.
You will have to stay on the warfarin until at least 6 months after the last incident. If there is a reason other than HRT you will have to stay on it for life.
Occasional pain is to be expected, but it shouldn’t last longer than a couple of hours.
Let me know if you have more questions. Good luck.