Question
Posted by: Stupid | 2003/02/07

DVT and smoking<br><br>DVT and smoking

Hi Doctor,
I am 50 and a large DVT in December. I am a smoker for about 30 years but can't give it up. I have tried everything but it seem that I con't really want to if you know what I mean. I think I have "emfiseem" too. I want to give up but at the same time I don't want to because I enjoy it. What is the use of giving it up if I have "emfiseem" because according to my doctor I can't get cured of that so it is no use at all, it won't go away. I used to drink hormone tablets for menopause now I can't drink that anymore and suffer with hot flushes badly, what can I use.
I would like help please!

Stupid, I’m not going to go into a long debate with you about this. You know that smoking is bad for you, but you don’t want to stop. It seem that you know that the price you will have to pay is high, but as an adult you’re allowed to make this choice. Stopping now won’t necessarily cure the emphysema, but it might halt the process. The other problem is that you seem to think that dying of emphysema is an easy thing to do. This is where you’re wrong. You will slowly suffocate and may have to have a few limbs amputated before you die. In the end your family (especially your grand children) will stay away from you because you scare them with all your laboured breathing and your pale face and blue lips. You won’t be able to wash yourself or even go to the toilet by your own. You will be a burden to all around you and the worst thing is that you’re making this selfish decision without taking anyone but yourself in consideration.
These things happen to people who didn’t deserve it too and they deserve all the support they can get, but it makes you wonder whether people who take an active choice to follow this road, deserve the same.
Well, that was my two cent’s worth. Do with it what you want. Good luck.