Posted by: VERY concerned | 2008/11/25



I am very concerned about a friend of mine. She went from a size 12 to a size 6 in about 4 months and has lost even more weight in the past 6 weeks. I do not know where she got it but I do now that she did not have a prescription for the Duromine she has been taking. Even if she did have one then surely her doctor should have stopped giving prescribing it to her by now. She has never been fat in her life but she has always had issues about her weight. I think these issues was brought on by her mother and grandmother whom put her on a diet when she was only 6. She is now 27.

What should I do as I know loosing more weight is compromising her health and she does not listen to me (she does not even want to speak to me anymore) when I talk about this problem.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear VERY Concerned
You are perfectly correct that it will be detrimental if your friend goes on losing weight and is possibly addicted to Duromine. From what you say, I would guess that your friend has an eating disorder like anorexia. The problem with this dreaded disease is that the patients are very resistant to help and will not listen to advice from others (as you are experiencing already). They must come to the realisation that they are ill and ruining their health so that they can go for professional help. I can only suggest that you try once more to talk to her about this problem and suggest that she goes for help to one of the eating disorder clinics: Gauteng -Tara Hospital as they have an Eating Disorder clinic (phone (011) 783-2010. In Cape Town and environs you can contact the Kenilworth Clinic (021) 797-1400 and in KwaZulu Natal there is Riverview Manor (033) 701-1911, or contact them on: Another option is to consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area).
I just hope your friend will take your advice before she has ruined her health
Best regards

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.