Question
Posted by: Zettie | 2005/07/26

Duration of Ovulation

I do not want to sound too technical but was wondering if someone can explain.

I want to know exactly how long the ovulation cycle lasts.

According to the ovulation kit, you are most fertile for 2 days. I visited the website of conceptionstore earlier today and according to the ovulation calander you can be fertile for a number of days but you only ovulate one day. I know the whole story about sperm being able to live a couple of days etc. but do you actualy have only 1 day a month that is the best chance to conceive. I would also like to know from when the 24 hour lifespan of an egg is counted. Is it from when it is being released or only from once it is released.

The reason I am asking, is that it is almost impossible for me to have sex on my ovulation day due to severe pain, but always make sure to have some days before and the day after.

Thanx

The release of the egg lasts a few seconds. the egg survives for about 48 hours. If you have sex before and after ovualtion, you should be able to conceive.

5
Posted by: SLC | 2005/07/26

Well, let us know what your doctor says.

Reply to SLC
Posted by: Zettie | 2005/07/26

I am seeing my gynae tomorrow and I am defenitely taking this up with her. I had a propper check up in Nov and only went of the pill in Jan. The pain has been so bad since then.

It is a bit of a catch 22 because I know when I ovulate, but too painful to do anything about it.

Z

Reply to Zettie
Posted by: SLC | 2005/07/26

Will keep all fingers & toes crossed that this is YOUR month.

Have you been checked to see why ovulation is so painful for you??? I guess, at least you KNOW that you're ovulating - makes TTC a bit easier.

Reply to SLC
Posted by: Zettie | 2005/07/26

Thanx SLC. I appreciate your reply.

I did exactly that, so lets hope for the best.

Z

Reply to Zettie
Posted by: SLC | 2005/07/26

Apparantly the egg 'lives' or is 'fertile' for a period of about 2 days. I could be wrong but that's what my doctor told me when we were TTC.

The male sperm lives for up to 72 hours so if you make love a day or 2 before ovulation & then again immediately afterwards (when pain is gone) then I would think your chances of conceiving will be increased.

Reply to SLC