Posted by: Stupid Idiot | 2003/03/10

Duration of caffeine overdose

How long will the symptoms of a caffeine overdose typically last? As part of a bet I drank about 100 gram of coffee about 12 hours ago. I seem to be doing okay, except I can’t sleep, have diaree and I am nauseas to hell. Luckily I threw up most of it up, but I would like to be able to eat normally again in a few days time. And yes, it was incredibly stupid and I will never do it again. And if you will be merciful enough to pity my stupidity, is there any way I can make road a little bit more smoother?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc

SI, calling it incredibly stupid is a bit much. Hope you at least won a decent amount of money. You should already feel a whole lot better by the time you receive this reply, but if you’re still busy getting worse you will have to see a doctor a.s.a.p. Here is some info on coffee if you need something to keep you busy. :-) Good luck.
“The effects of coffee are mainly due to caffeine. Caffeine, along with nicotine and alcohol, is one of the most commonly used drugs worldwide. It is estimated that more than 4.5 billion kilogram of coffee is consumed yearly throughout the world. As a rule of thumb, healthy young adults that are not pregnant should not consume more than 4 cups of coffee a day. 1-2 cups a day (30 –200mg caffeine) may improve vigilance, but more than that may cause caffeinism. Caffeinism is usually associated with a caffeine intake of more than 500mg/d. Symptoms include anxiety, agitation, restlessness, insomnia, a feeling of being wired, heart palpitations and an upset stomach. It can cause anxiety and may precipitate severe symptoms in compensated schizophrenic and bipolar disorder patients. Addiction can occur after regular intake of >250mg/d and the withdrawal symptoms include headaches, irritability, lethargy and nausea.”

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.