Question
Posted by: Jessica | 2004/01/22

Dumbell weights and manly shoulders.

I am using weights to tone up my upper arms, but I am worried that I am going to get big muscular manly shoulders. I used to do a lot of swimming, and my shoulders have only just started looking feminine again. Are there any exercises I should avoid doing with my weights and any that would be good?
Secondly, can I use to dumbell weights to tone any other part of my body?
Thank you.

Hi Jessica

THe main thing to avoid gaining huge weight is to use lighter weights. When you are weight training, you can achieve the bulking up effect by using a heavier weight and doing fewer reps, and so that's what you should avoid.

Then, as for the exercises for other body parts, check out the 'Zone-in-on' section of the Health 24 website (www.health24.co.za). You can find this section under 'Fitness', and then just click on the image that shows the areas you want to work on, and you will be able to see the exercises relevant to you. Another good one ican be found if you go to "Fitness" and then click on "Shape up". Here you will find a number of different programmes, including one for walking, another for running 10 km, and a cycling one. You can choose which you prefer. These programmes contain both cardiovascular (good for weight loss) and resistance training (for toning the muscles) and so are good overall complete programmes.

1
Posted by: eals | 2004/01/26

hi i'm also use weights to tone my body.but i want to gain more muscles bcz i'm aruby play.sow what can u sugest me

Reply to eals