Question
Posted by: mims | 2005/11/21

DUIRETIC

I eat lots of cucumber, sometimes celery and weekly i force down some asparagus, all because they do make me loose a little retained water. however i have given the healthier options enough months to work, i am tired now i need you to pls recommend a SAFE duiretic that i can take to rid my body of excess water due to 60 mg of prednisone taken over 3 months for a neurological condition. Please help i can feel my body needs a little push to rid of the extra water that i retained. I did not want to be irresponsible and take duiretics while on the cortizone as apparentely duiretics wash the good vitamins and minerals from your system. Is this true? if so is there a safer one whichmight not do this maybe i could take it only every 2 or 3 days, i am willing to do that. Will it not help if i just up my vitamin and mineral intake via diet and supplements while on the duiretic?

I AM DESPERATE I LOST MOST OF THE WEIGHT GAIN FROM THE CORTISONE BUT AM STILL LEFT WITH 2KG THAT I CAN FEEL IS PURE WATER,

WHAT OTHER BAD SIDE EFFECTS DO DUIRETICS HAVE, CAN YOU TAKE THEM WHILE ON YOUR PERIOD?

ANY NATURAL FOODS YOU CAN RECOMMEND TO CURB ONE'S APPETITE?

Dear Mims
Diuretics must be prescribed by your medical dr, so ask your gp to give you a mild diuretic for use for a short period until this water retention passes. He/she can also prescribe such a diuretic for use during your periods if you tend to retain water during this time. Diuretics do not really wash vitamins and minerals out of the body so you need not worry about this effect. Discuss your vitamin and mineral supplementation with the prescribing dr because many diuretics are 'potassium-sparing' which means that if you also take supplements that contain potassium, you may end up with excessive potassium levels in the body. A basic slimming diet that uses low-fat, high-fibre foods should curb your appetite (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss' , ‘The right approach' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet). If you are allowed to exercise then it is also a good idea to increase your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life).