Question
Posted by: Dude | 2003/12/05

Dude

Jacqui, I am posting this to you because of your reply to my post in the bodybuilding section. Do you know whats the deal with this exercise bike?

###########
I bought myself a Trojan Synergy exercise bike last week.

At the gym I was measured as having 18% body fat.
My bike, however measures me as having something like 29% body fat and a BMI of 27. What am I missing?
############

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Hi Dude,

I am sorry to say that Trojan are not very high tech an it is probably a faulty measurement on the bike that is the measurement to ignore. There are inaccuracies in most fat measuring devices but the ones on the Trojan are probably the most inaccurate.

2
Posted by: Dude | 2003/12/05

They used a device that you hold in both hands, wiith arms straight in front of you. It displays the % on its screen

Reply to Dude
Posted by: Bloubul | 2003/12/05

Dude,
What did they use at the gym to measure your fat %. Most equipment differ in the way they measure your body composition (formulas etc). For example: I had my bodyfat measured with 3 different "tools":
i) Caliper: 10%
ii) Omron fat analyzer: 7%
iii) Tanita scale: 17%.
I also know that if you measure your body fat under different circumstances with the same analyzer (Talking about Omron and Tanita) you will get different results. The readings are influenced by external factors suchs as: Body temperature, room temperature, amount of water intake before measurement, etc. The best way in my opinion is to use calipers.

Gert de Lange
Personal Trainer

Reply to Bloubul