Question
Posted by: BS | 2004/09/21

Ducks on nest

We live in a complex. In our complex there are quite a few ponds with ducks in it.

In our front garden we have pond with a water feature. Two weeks ago we noticed the female duck on her nest in our garden.
How long does she sit on her nest before the little ducks hatch?

We noticed that there are 14 eggs in the nest. The nest is right outside our livingroom. So we always keep an eye out for cats or children who try to get close to the nest.

Any ide how long it will take before the little ducks make their appreance?

BS

It depends on the type of duck - most ducks incubate for between 23 and 30 days before the eggs hatch.

Dr Willemien van Wyk
Bird and exotic animal veterinarian

7
Posted by: Davina | 2004/09/26

Ja, I know, the ignorance of youth.

The bantam ducks were a real pain as we lived in a townhouse complex in Sandton. The -|- -a-doodle-doing at 4am did not go down too well.

My dad eventually bought a dog kennel, put on a door and perch and locked them in at night so they couldn't see the sunrise.

I would love ducks now but I think my muttley-crew of 5 would too:(

Reply to Davina
Posted by: Lucia | 2004/09/23

OK Davina - the one qwacks and the other one clucks - what went wrong ???? Ha ha ha ha

That was hilarious - I can just imagine.

Ducks make excellent pets - I had a breeding pair of Mallards with an identity crisis. They thought they were dogs because they grew up with the dogs. When the dogs started barking at the gate, they would come running along and qwack their hearts out. At times they were even better guard dogs than the real furry ones. Daffy (the male) would run into the house whenever strangers came to visit, jump on my lap and stay there until the visitors left - I still don't know whether he was protecting me or if he was scared of strangers ???

They each had a boogie board in the pool which no one was allowed to touch and instead of swimming in the pool, they would lounge around on the boards - weird picture. They did have their own pond, but preferred the pool.

In any case, I have moved from Durbs to CTN and had to retire them on a smallholding before I left - still miss them today but looking for a young pair here in CTN - very difficult to find.

Keep well

Reply to Lucia
Posted by: Davina | 2004/09/23

Sweetest.

I have always wanted Ducks. When I was little I gave all my pocket money to a little boy who sold me two ducks... they grew up to be bantums!

Reply to Davina
Posted by: Lucia | 2004/09/22

Hi BS

Defenitely Mallards - they are quite hardy and breed fairly easily.

I think it is fantastic that your complex has these ponds and ducks - great to have a bit of nature literally on your door step.

Do let us know when the little ones arrive !

Keep well.

Reply to Lucia
Posted by: carol | 2004/09/21

Sounds like a mallard ... this is too cute .... let us know about the pending arrival

Reply to carol
Posted by: BS | 2004/09/21

My husband works from home, so he keeps an eye on her. The male is also always around.

Yes, we even switched off our garden light, in case it was bothering her.

But I'll keep you posted on what's happening.

I'm not sure what type of duck it is. It's light brown with spots and the male has a green neck. He's got the beautiful colours and she is rather dull.

BS

Reply to BS
Posted by: Lucia | 2004/09/21

Hi BS

You do not mention what type of duck (Qwacker, Mallard, Mandarin ?) On average duck eggs can take anything from 26 - 30 days to hatch (some a few days longer).

Good for you for keeping an eye on the nest and warding off any unwanted "visitors" - watch for cats esp at night time. If possible, try to keep commotion to as little as possible around the nest - I have seen many a duck abandon her nest because she was bothered too much.

If this batch is successful and most of the ducklings survive, you stand a good chance of witnessing this event every year.

Enjoy !

Reply to Lucia