Posted by: Amy | 2007/12/04

D/Surgeon or Prosthodontist

I have a 3 tooth gap in front of a broken molar. I currently have a plastic plate that fills the gap. Do I need to see a Prosthodontist re implants or will a dental surgeon be able to do the implants.
Also, are implants done in one procedure and can they fill the gap immediately?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageProsthodontist


The dental surgeon (maxillo-facial and oral surgeon or periodontist) would place the implants. However, your prosthodontist should be involved from the planning stage to aid the surgeon in implant positioning.

Should the bone provide sufficient stability for the implants, immediate function (closing of the gap) with a provisional bridge may be possible.

Kind regards

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Prosthodontist | 2008/03/31

Dear Val

Please accept my apologies for the late response. The specialist to consult with regarding the sore, rough ulcers would be a periodontist, as they specialize in oral medicine.
I would recommend that you do see a Prosthodontist who would be able to assist in the planning of the implant supported restotations and provide you with a treatment plan of detailed options and cost estimations for the treatment.

Kind regards

Reply to Prosthodontist
Posted by: prosthodontist | 2008/03/31

Hi Walter.

I am sorry about the delayed response.
Crowding of teeth is a very common problem. Othodontic treatment is the best way of resolving this problem. An option to fixed braces could be an Invisalign procedure where removable transparent appliances are worn.
Please discuss this with your Orthodondist/Prosthodontist.

Kind regards

Reply to prosthodontist
Posted by: Val | 2008/02/16

Dear Dr. Please could you advise me. I have a huge ammount of work needing to be done in my mouth. A Sinus lift and then 7 /8 implants. My concern is that after a molar tooth extraction about 8 years ago, I started to develop areas in my mouth which are rough and painful.... and also have skin that peels off on the sides of my cheeks and palette. Would this problem that has never been able to be identified by neither the dental surgon or the maximillo facial dr have any effect on the surgery that must be done.?

Also in the light of the fact that I need so many implants, as well as a bone graft, is it neccessary to consult a Prosthedontist as well? Thank you!

Reply to Val
Posted by: Walter | 2008/01/23

Last year i visited a Prosthodostist because my teeth are fairly crowded. He recommended i get braces. What if i dont the inconvenience of braces and want a quicker solution. ive seen fantastic before/after photos on websites.

Reply to Walter

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.