Question
Posted by: Daisy | 2003/03/20

DRY SKIN, RIDGED AND FLAKING NAILS PARTING FROM NAILBEDS

Hi Doc.,
For the last 5 years I've watched may nails and skin getting progressively worse and worse. The skin on my limbs is really rough and now it is affecting my face. My nails are weak and the layers split and are clearly longitudinally ridged. I would expect someone 20 years older than I am might have skin like mine. If I don't put cream on the skin is really leathery and rough. A blood test apparently showed my thyroid is O.K The condition is not inherited. I've been told by a GP and a dermatologist who did no tests, that nothing can be done. Creams and taking Evening Primrose oil don't seem to help. I am on HRT. I feel that the condition of my skin and nails is abnormal, even for my mature age. Can you help me please?

Daisy, it’s difficult to say what the problem is without being able to see you. The fact that it has been going on for 5 years excludes a lot of things as most diseases and disorders would have caused more problems than just skin and nail problems. Things like iron deficiency for instance would by now also have caused anaemia and even maybe heart failure. The same goes for a lot of other disorders.
It might be that you’re suffering from a connective tissue disorder, a skin disorder like psoriasis or eczema or even something relatively rare like porphyria. The best would be to see a dermatologist and have him sort it out for you. Good luck.