Posted by: Lizel | 2009/09/09

Dry Skin

I suffer from hayfever and my skin is constantly dry on my cheeks breast and hands I can' t use scented cream and soap because my skin is to sensitive I suffer from pigmentation on my skin through pregnancy and I have black underneath my eyes

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Lizel, thank you for the question.

Your best approach would be to consult a dermatologist who can examine the areas of concern and advise you on the best treatment options. This is a difficult question to answer over the net as you list a number of complaints which I do not believe are related to each other.
The dry skin may be linked to the hay fever in the form of a dermatitis or eczema but one needs to exclude other possibilities such as xerosis or other underlying medical conditions. Furthermore, we would need to establish if the skin is reacting to specific ingredients in products or are they reacting Rosacea producing a red, hot, and flushed skin.
ntation that is aggravated by hormonal changes such as pregnancy is known as Melasma (mask of pregnancy) and can be difficult to treat. A number of options exist:
Topical: use a good SPF 50 or higher that contains zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide applied several times daily; NeoStrata glycolic acid peels with depigmenting booster pads; NeoStrata Depigmenting Gel and Brightening Cream SPF 15; hydroquinone mixed with the previous mentioned topicals (2% or 4%)
Skin rejuvenation technologies such as laser (Fraxel), Syneron’s eMax/eLight or the Matrix RF

The ‘black’ circles you have noticed are usually caused by the following:
Loss of fatty support allowing the skin to fall on the bone producing a shadow effect – treated with fillers.
Pigmentation deposition
Increased vasculature such as veins and capillaries – treated with laser vein removal.
Again one would need to examine the area and decide on the best treatment options.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.