Question
Posted by: Kasandra | 2005/07/18

Dry skin

Dear Dietdoc

I have very dry skin and dry hair lips - I do drink alot of water not more then the 2 liter a day with green tea and normal tea.

is there anything i can eat or use to help with this problem.?

Dear Kasandra
Very dry skin requires treatment with special emollients. It is advisable to consult a Dermatologist because this condition could be caused by underlying physical problems such as thyroid imbalances. The Dermatologist will also prescribe the correct products and procedures so that your skin does not dry out even more. From a diet point of view you could try using Salmon oil capsules to boost your omega-3 intake.

1
Posted by: Sunshine | 2005/07/18

Hi Kasandra,

Dry skin, hair and lips are mostly due to a lack of "essential fatty acids" (EFA's - the good fats) in the body. There are 2 types of EFA's commonly known as Omega 3, Omega 6 (Omega 9 is non-essential). Omega's are important for the formation of cell walls and keeping them nice an moist. Besides that, its also excellent for circulation and oxygen uptake, thus improving memory and concentration, PMS and hormone balance. The best food sources are:
* Nuts (Any nuts)
* Seeds (specifically Flaxseeds, pumpkin and sunflower)
* Fish (especially Salmon and Tuna)
* Avocados
* Sunflower/Canola/Olive Oil
You can also take it in supplement form. Look out for the fish source EFA supplements as they are usually more potent. 1000mg Omega 3 and 400mg Omega 6 once a day is a good balance.[Solgar makes a good one called "Omega 3 700mg" & "One-a day GLA (omega 6)". This brand is available in most health shops]
I take mine everyday as it makes the hair silky and the skin and lips plump and gorgeous, its like beauty supplements ;) The difference is noticalbe in approx 10 days...

Take care
Sunshine

Reply to Sunshine