Question
Posted by: Cathy | 2004/11/27

Dry or tinned food for kitten?

I'll be receiving my Bengal kitten soon. Most of the breeders on the internet recommend high protein pellets as opposed to tinned/wet cat food. Will the kitten be getting enough moisture/fluid in it's diet, with dry food only. I was of the belief that a cat's food should contain a high percentage of fluid?
I also read that onions & choclate are toxic to cats. If so, why is this?

You can use either dry or wet catfood, as long as it is a high-quality catfood.

Cats do not have all the enzymes to breakdown drugs and poisons as dogs do. As a result, cats are more likely to be poisoned by onions, which will result in blood breakdown. Chocolate is probably equally poisonous to cats and dogs, but must be consumed in significant amounts. Dark chocolate is more likely to be poisonous than normal chocolate.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

2
Posted by: Vlooi | 2004/12/02

Just watch out for kidney stones if you give dry food. Some cats do not drink enough water and the dry food then causes kidney stones (escpecially in male cats).

Reply to Vlooi
Posted by: Carol | 2004/11/28

I would honestly recommend that u follow the diet sheet that the breeder gives u otherwise u are going to end up with upset tummies.

Otherwise dry high quality kitten food like royal canin or even whiskas is fine just make sure u always have fresh water available.

Reply to Carol