Question
Posted by: Jennifer | 2006/04/12

dry mouth and dry eyes when lying down

Whenever I get into bed at night, my mouth gets extremely dry within minutes of lying down and my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth. My eyes become so dry that I sometimes wake up in the middle of the night from the pain and have to insert Acular or lubricant (Allergan Refresh Opthalmic Solution).

I am also experiencing problems with constipation.

I am not on any new medication and haven't changed my lifestyle or diet. I don't drink any alcohol either. I am reasonably healthy, apart from having an autoimmune disease of the central nervous system. I usually drink more than enough fluid during the day, so why the symptoms of dehydration ? I am definitely not diabetic.

What could be causing these symptoms ?

Hi Jen
Some auto immune diseases can cause dry eyes and reducing sputum ( xerostomia)
Systemically, Sjorgren's Syndrome is the most prevalent cause of xerostomia. It is a chronic inflammatory autoimmune disease in which the body's exocrine secretions - the eyes, nose, mouth and vagina - dry up. Other systemic diseases such as sarcoidosis, cystic fibrosis, hormonal dysfunction (thyrotoxicosis and diabetes), seleroderma, hypertension, obesity, hyperlipidemia alcoholic cirrhosis, malnutrition and lichen planus are all associated with xerostomia. Read more on http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sjogrens-syndrome/DS00147

5
Posted by: susan | 2016/05/17

For the past year, I have the same problem with dryness when I lay down and an extremely stuffed up feeling at the back of my throat up to the bridge of my nose. This happens at night when I lay down. I have Hashimotos disease and recently found out my antidiuretic hormone is low. I tested negative for Sjorgrens. Symptoms are weight gain (a lot), weak muscles, dryness especially to mouth, and in the past night waking to urinate twice during the night with a full bladder. I am a 57 year old female. Please, if anyone can figure this out please let me know. ingwalljoe@verizon.net

Reply to susan
Posted by: Blaabo | 2016/02/23

I have the same issue. When I go to bed, my eyes and mouth get dry, if I sit up, soon they are good again. I haven't found the answer anywhere but I think it might have something to do with stiff neck.

Reply to Blaabo
Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/09/03

Has anyone found an answer to this? I have the same problem with the exception of the painful burning eyes. It starts within minutes of lying down so the whole mouth breather thought isn't an issue. In fact I have to wear a bite guard for grinding, but again it starts before I'm asleep. I wake up all night long with my tongue stick to the roof of my mouth and I have to take a sip of water. By the morning I have finished an entire bottle. I am not on any new medication, I have a cool mist humidifier running all night on high, I have confirmed that I do not have diabetes or hypothyroidism. I have put some weight on.... Could that be a symptom? HELP! I'm exhausted!!!

Posted by: Sam | 2015/01/11

Gee Cyberdoc. None of what you said addressed the blatantly obvious issue with the problem and that is: WHEN LAYING DOWN!!!!!! I have exactly the same thing happening to me. My eyes are FINE throughout the day. No dryness. Within minutes of laying down, they dry up. The pain and burning can be severe. If I just sit upright for a few minutes (typically about three), my eyes tear right up and feel fine. I am not the first to have these symptoms but worse than the symptoms is the fact that this connection between laying down and standing up is completely ignored. None of the conditions you described have ANYTHING to do with standing and laying. Is this such an inconvenient symptom that you are choosing to completely ignore it? Good Grief!

Reply to Sam | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Em | 2015/05/20

I have the exact same problem. The dryness in my mouth and eyes start as soon as I lay down. I've been trying to find an answer to this for a couple of years. It seems that no one has done research on this. I'm hoping that I'll figure it out on my own. If I do, I place the info on the web everywhere the question has been asked. Best wishes! Personally I think this has something to do with my visit to the dentist a couple of years ago.