Question
Posted by: Bev | 2007/04/26

Drunk as a skunk

Please help me. Besides various problems I believe to be phycological due to undue stress placed on me with 2 small children and an anxious mind, I feel I am UNFORTUNATELY losing it.... or FORTUNATELY realising it. I seem to think I have a drinking problem and want to rid myself of it, but do not know if it's real or where to seek help. I have to have ( at the minimum) at least 1 glass of wine at night and panic and go out to buy a bottle if there's nothing in the house. Some nights (ONLY AT NIGHT) if it's there I will pour a glass, (feel better just knowing the bottles there even if I don't feel like it or it tastes bad) others I will pour 5 glasses until I'm feeling very relaxed. I know my husband notices but doesnt say a word (except jokingly) but my problem is I am scared I will need to attend to something urgent at night (on the binge nights) and will not be able too because I don't want to drive. My mom has always had her wine at night and I suppose because I never saw her get "funny" with it I guess it's alright. But I just feel there's this subconcious (probably Holy Spirit) thought coming to me that it's NOT ALRIGHT and I want to try and stop it before it gets out of hand. Will only drink a little at parties or socially but more than I am happy with alone or with family. Any advise? Want to stop it before it begins and gets way out of hand. Please answer.

Dear Bev
Over use of alchol is just a way of (unhealthily) self medication - you are feeling anxious and the alchohol is making you feel better. But there are healthier and safer treatments available - please talk to your doctor and get a prescription for something like Aropax that will be less addictive or bad for your health. I would not describe you as "alcoholic" yet, so I think if you take medication to make you less anxious, the problem will probably sort itself out.

1
Posted by: Bev | 2007/04/26

I forgot to mention. I am a 31 year old female and I DON'T WANT to end up with liver problems or irreversible things I could STOP RIGHT NOW. I also HATE the jaded feeling I have in the morning after these BIG nights. I do love the energy I have on the nights I am a little more disciplined.

Reply to Bev