Question
Posted by: Worried | 2004/01/16

Drugs and baby

Hi there,

I just found out that I am pregnant and i am concerned as my husband tried cocaine (he only took it once) about two weeks before i conceived. Could this have adetrimental effect on our baby? I am very scared that something might happen.

Thanks for all the responses.

Your husband taking cocaine will not affect the baby. Only if you so, would it be a problem. However, the psychological issues should be addressed.

7
Posted by: Sad Mommy | 2004/01/16

Worried

Thanks for the kind words but I don't think I've been strong through all of this, but at least I'll have learnt from my experience.

His not my hubby he is only a boyfriend. I'm a single mother. He doesn't want to get married and to be quit honest neither do I at least not to someone like him.

The only and most important thing in my life is my son.

Sad Mommy

Reply to Sad Mommy
Posted by: Purple | 2004/01/16

I think that certain drugs can affect the quality of the sperm, which affects your chances of conception, as a not quite right sperm has less chance of joinging with the egg than a healthy sperm does. I think that if the not so healthy sperm had to join with the egg and you therefore conceived a baby from a not so healthy sperm that there might be risks, however, considering that about 3 million sperm are released, and only one joins with the egg, your risks are probably pretty low.

Glad you've laid down the law to your immature hubby. Just be firm and do kick him out if he continues with this behaviour, you'll be better off without him.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: Worried | 2004/01/16

Sad Mommy,

I am sorry to hear that you have such a tough life. Every child needs the love of a father as well. i hope for your sake and your sons sake taht your husband realises what he is doing to his family before it is too late. Otherwise, you seem like a strong person to have endured all this thus far. leave him and carry on with your life. If he really wants the both if you he will change.

Thank you again, you have given me the best advice as you are talking from experience.

I hope that everything works out for the best for you and your family.

May God bless you and grant you strength and courage and may your little one grow to become your pillar of strength!

Reply to Worried
Posted by: Sad Mommy | 2004/01/16

Dear Worried

I am in that postion my partner takes drugs and when I fell pregnant I asked my doc if the drugs would affect my baby it doesn't just as long as you don't take drugs your safe and your unborn baby is safe.

Just beware of the fact that your hubby is taking drugs.
Mine promised me he would stop and he never did my baby boy is 4 months old and his still taking drugs more than ever. My son on the other hand is a very healthy baby but the sad part is that his father isn't interested in him and wants nothing to do with him and myself, and I'm starting to think my son and I are better off without him I'm not prepared to raise my son in that kind of enviorment, I'm not used to is so why must I subject an innocent baby to that kind of behaviour of aggresion and the possibility of him harming my son and I, he already threatend the life of my son and I when I was pregnant.

What I'm saying is if your hubby doesn't stop taking drugs and he gets worse by the time your baby is here he will never change, I know I'm speaking of experience I had a miserable pregnancy and I'm still miserable but it's time to look to the future and it can be a very bright one with just my son and myself.

Trust me you don't want to be in the same situation that I'm in I couldn't begin to tell you just how much it hurts the heart ache and pain and all the tears that I've cried my son doesn't have a father and he deserves better than the one his got. Who wants a junkie and an alcoholic for a father.
Just be very careful, I wasn't and I thought that I could change him that our son could change him and I was wrong.

I hope things work out for you.
Take Care of that little bundle of joy they really are a blessing from above.

Sad Mommy

Reply to Sad Mommy
Posted by: Worried | 2004/01/16

Thanks Ladies,

I really appreciate the advice.
He is on a tight leash, he knows it. Either all that stops or he's out!

Thanks again.

Reply to Worried
Posted by: www | 2004/01/16

Yeah, I'm with Norma on this one. Your baby won't be affected. But you had better make sure your husband hasn't become hooked - it only takes one try and you'll need a fully functional partner to help you through the pregnancy, labour and mostly raising a child.

Reply to www
Posted by: Norma | 2004/01/16

Dear Worried,

I don't think you should worry about your baby, but you should worry about your husband, the drugs could harm him, doesn't matter how many times taken...

Reply to Norma