Question
Posted by: Figjam | 2004/11/22

Drug rehabilitation

I have a friend who had a "drug overdose".....well, the drugs she took gave her a minor heart attack and she was in ICU for a couple of days.

Subsequent to this, said friend was booked into a "recovery/rehabilitation" centre in Rivonia to undergo a 6 week course to "cure" her of her "addiction. Now, don't get me wrong, I do not condone drug taking whatsoever but the poor girl was treated like a heroine addict of 20 years and made to believe that she was a waste of space and needed to "sort" her addictions out.....by any means possible.

I understand recovery and rehabilitation is meant to assist you in breaking free of your addictions.....and accepting them, but they have, frankly, turned this person into a Psychotic.

She has lost all ability to debate.....to discuss things sensibly.....or interact with the people who really do care about her. I'm not exaggerating when I say it's as if she has become a member of a cult as her behaviour is consistent with that of a brainwashed individual!!!!

To cut a long story short, I have been totally and utterly cut out of this persons life, and without fear of contradiction, believe that she has been poisoned by the people who have been counseling her.

Is "recovery/rehabilitation" supposed to make you ruthless? I have been nothing but a pillar of support for this person through her tough time and within a day I went from hero to zero without any explanation....apart from manic and scathing sms's, e-mails and phonecalls. When I have requested a forum to discuss what has happened I have been fobbed off and told that I AM the one with the problems!!!

I'm confused.....and if I could type quicker I would supply more details which would clarify a few more things. The reason I'm posting is that I believe that some of these "recovery/rehab" centres to more harm than good. She has been changed from a wonderful person who accepted the folly of her ways, into a zombie-like person in a trance!!!

Hmpf.

Hmm, sounds like a rather unhelpful rehab program --- my impression is that there are far too many such "programs" NOT designed for the most benefit to the individual, but designed so as to attract the maximum funding from the Medical Aids, and then to boot the person out, whether they're well enough or not, and without proper follow-up.
I have no idea whether the breach you are experiencing with this friend is possibly related in any way to what someone else said to her during the process, whether therapist , counsellor or another patient ; or if it's jys a sign of how she is right now. Maybe this is a good time to leave her be ; if she comes to recognize again how supportive you have been, she;ll get back to you. If not, then you've lost her anyhow. And it's your life that should take precedence now.

6
Posted by: Kasandra | 2004/11/23

Its a process and there is a lot that you need to work through sometimes you seem ruthless and psychotic everything comes out - it really takes courage but its so worth while its a journey and a process and discovering yourself is such a gift.......

Ones you start healing you find inner peace.

Reply to Kasandra
Posted by: Figjam | 2004/11/23

But you seem fine now.......you don't seem to be ruthless or psychotic.

Good on you!!!!

Reply to Figjam
Posted by: Kasandra | 2004/11/23

Jip been there....

Reply to Kasandra
Posted by: Figjam | 2004/11/23

Kasandra.....I think you missed my point, but thanks for replying anyway.

Been there then?

Reply to Figjam
Posted by: Kasandra | 2004/11/22

When we go into recovery unfort its for yourself and not for other people and you learn valuable things about yourself you have not learned before, how to stand up for yourself how to respect yourself, how the closet people to you can hurt you - isuues come up and you have to deal with them.

Its a growing process for YOU Only so i think that is where your friend is at.

There is also other factors did you use with her? Unfort when one go into recovery the first thing you have to do is keep yourself safe.....

She is doing what she must to get rid of the disease of her addiction...... Being in ICU sounds pretty intense to me - she has gotten another change and she probably will build on that now.

If you were really good friends then i am sure she will find her way to you again.

Reply to Kasandra
Posted by: Figjam | 2004/11/22

I'm pretty convinced she's been poisoned by her therapist. I went to a "support" session once for her and frankly decided never to go again.....they gave me the creeps and I felt even then, at the time of her admittance, that this was potentially the beginning of the end.

Sigh.

But as you say: "And it's your life that should take precedence now."

Indeed. I am going to look after no. 1 from now on.............the sad thing is that now I'll be very wary of embracing someone as friend the way I did with her.

Her loss.

Cheers.

Reply to Figjam