Question
Posted by: Lyn | 2003/12/11

Drug Addication

My husband has been using dagga for over 5 years now and everytime he stops he gets very irritable and starts again but last night I confronted him about it and he ignored me because I found some other drugs in his cupboard not the normal stuff. I am not sure what it is but it is a brownish grass like drug. What can I do please help. I also have a 3 year old son and don't want him to find out about all this.

Dear Lyn,
Well certainly you don't want your 3-year-old to find any dagga or related substances, because they could cause serious problems if he consumed them, for a start. It sounds like your husband might be using other chemicals than only the usual dagga, but wouldn't you need to talk to him about this, and find out what it is ?
Look at what smokers of tobacco go through when they stop smoking --- it can be similar on stopping dagga --- and if one uses some irritability as an excuse to start again, then there's no hope of ever getting off it.
You're wise to plan to stop, and to encourage him to do so. There's ominous evidence around suggesting that continued substantial smoking isn't good for the brain ; and it's probably even worse for the lungs than tobacco.