Question
Posted by: mira | 2006/11/09

DROP FOOT

I have developed a drop foot due to a neurological inflammatory auto immune disorder. Soon after it started i fell and tore ligaments in same foot, i think have recovered from the fall, just a little swollen at night after a long day, however i cannot take the usual prednisone to correct the drop foot as i am 24 wks pregnant, the neurologist is using a wait and see approach, it happened 3 months ago both the drop foot and the fall, there has been a very very slight improvement in the functioning of my foot, the foot is still very numb though.

My questions:
1. Are there any other disorders out there that can cause this?
2. How long will a drop foot take to heal on its own if ever?
3. Can i continue to breastfeed my baby for at least 6 months then opt for prednisone as my dilemma is that i still want to breastfeed therefore delaying treatment.
4. Are there any other methods i.e. operation other than the cortisone for the inflammation that could help a drop foot?
I get around fine using a brace but hate to think i might need it forever? what do you think the outcome is? the condition is mostly reversible with treatment unlike multiple sclerosis i have a treatable kind only not when pregnant.

Thank you very much

Expert ImageArchive

If you have been advised that the condition is treatable when your pregnancy is over I would advise you to treat asap and bottle feed (even if this goes against your grain) as the longer a muscle doesnt work the harder it will be to rehabilitate.Discuss this with your Drs and husband as as much as you want to be a good mom( and I can see this) you also need to look after yourself so you can be healthy for your baby