Question
Posted by: Concerned | 2005/07/22

Drop

My ex-partner recently got drop and had to be treated. What is this, and can I also get it? I'm a gay man, age 24.

Expert ImageGay, lesbian and bisexual expert

Hi Concerned, thanks for visiting this forum and for your question.

The correct name for 'drop' is gonorrhea. This is a sexually transmitted infection caused by a bacteria.

There has been an increase in gonorrhea infections in the gay community, specifically in the Cape Town area, over the past 3 months. Gonorrhea is very contagious, and increases the risk of HIV infection.

You can get gonorrhea in your penis, your anus or your throat. The symptoms usually include a discharge from your penis (hence the common name, 'drop') and a 'burning' sensation when urinating. Your testicles (balls) can become tender or sore, and the head of your penis may feel sore. If the infection is anal, you may have a discharge from you ass and this area may feel sore or inflamed.

Anyone presenting with these symptoms should seek medical advise. Gonorrhea is generally easy to treat. If you're concerned about being infected by your ex-boyfriend, visit your GP or nearest clinic for a check-up.

Anyone who is sexually active can become infected with gonorrhea. I strongly advise you to use a condom when having anal sex, and never perform oral sex on a penis that shows evidence of a discharge. Ideally, you should place a condom over a penis before putting it in your mouth.

1
Posted by: worried | 2005/07/22

Scary Scary Scary stuff! I've never even thought about using condoms during oral sex and I've never met anyone else who uses condoms for this. Where can I get penis-flavoured condoms?

Reply to worried