Question
Posted by: Sarah | 2007/07/19

Droopy/sagging skin

I am 46 years old and need to loose about 10kgs. I have lost 5,5kgs so far over a period of 3 months - and am deliberately loosing quite slowly as I am concerned that my face will start drooping with the weight loss but am eager to get back into shape. What can I use to delay the drooping as I know this is inevitable as one gets older. My face is fairly wrinkle free as I use a product called Alphaplast which contains acids causing peeling on a constant basis.

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hello Sarah, thank you for the question.
Firstly, let me start by saying congratulations with starting your weight loss program and for being so determined. Unfortunately the main reason for what you call drooping of the face is what is known as volume loss of underlying fat pockets in the face. There is also a loss of skin elasticity and firmness and both these processes need to be addressed to prevent the ‘drooping’. Volume loss is usually treated with volume replacement in the form of a filler. Skin elasticity and firmness may be treated with combination (or alone) chemical peels, needling and skin tightening.