Question
Posted by: joey | 2007/05/30

driving

My daughter's going for her drivers licence tomorrow - she's the last one of the three children to go for her licence. Thing is the older 2 are boys and I was really ok when they got their licences - guess because they're boys and always knew alot more about driving than my daughter does. With her I'm so petrified with her getting her licence and then returning to the city to carry on. There are so many things that I keep telling her to watch out for and pay attention to - but typical teenager - she thinks I worry unnecessarily. Wish I could just feel ok about this situation but I'm really battling with it.

Is your concern for (a) her ability to drive safely and not take usafe advantage of her increased mobility ? or (b) concern simply that this extra mobility will make her more vulnerable to the naughty world out there ? You may be worrying a bit too much, and she a bit too little. But as I'm sure you have brought her up well to be a thoughtful and careful person, she will surely be able to manage her own safety ? Try to avoid what might feel like nagging about the dangers or the care she must take, and rather discuss, woman-to-woman there risks in modern life which wory you, and ask her opinion about how best one can deal with those.

1
Posted by: joey | 2007/05/30

I'm worrying about everyting - the dangers out there - hijacking, accidents specifically. The reason why I go over the things which can go wrong is that - at home when she uses her car just to go around locally she leaves the passenger door and back door open, does'nt put her seat belt on etc. and I see this and she knows she should do it but still forgets. A friend was raped because she left the back door of her car open and someone jumped in put a knive to her throat then got her to a place and raped her (luckily she lived to tell the tale) - I mean things like this happen and she should take heed of the dangers - especially when this happened to someone she knew. I just worry so much that she thinks she would not be in danger out there and that I'm just fussing too much. Also, when you start out driving when you're young you really have to learn by experience and so many things go wrong.

Reply to joey