Question
Posted by: Bella | 2004/11/03

Drinking with food

Dear Diet Doc

I'm watching my weight and would really like to know if it is bad to drink anything when eating. I have read that it is not good if you are on a diet, but have also read that it is good as it aids digestion. Please can you clear up what is good or not!

Thank you very much

Dear Bella
It is not a good idea to drink large volumes of liquid with meals because this dilutes the digestive juices in the stomach. If you have a glass of water or soda water or sugar-free cold drink with a meal, or cofee or tea after the meal, this should not interfere with your weight loss. Drinking sweetened cold drink will hamper weight loss.