Question
Posted by: RK | 2007/08/09

drinking wine daily

I drink a 750ml bottle of light white wine every night and sometimes half of a second bottle (plus minus 7 glasses)

I havea stressful career and this helps me relax and does not affect me in any way except that I wake up with a dul head.

I am female, 54 years old.

Do I need to stop?

Dear RK
1 glass of wine is 2 units of alcohol. Guidlines say that women can drink up to 2-3 units per day ( 1,5 glass of wine). At least one day in the week should be alcohol free.

You are currently taking in 14 units per day - which means that you are abusing alcohol to self medicate your anxiety. There are safer and less harmful medication available that will help you to relax - please start cutting down on your volume of wine and ask your GP to prescribe something like Aropax or Aterax for the anxiety symptoms.

See also http://hcd2.bupa.co.uk/fact_sheets/html/alcohol_abuse.html